Birds are the favoured visitors to our garden and though some are more welcomed than others they alll supply life and liveliness to the surroundings. Not only do they entertain with their song it is also fun to watch them as they gather food and collect bits and pieces to build nests.
Here is a list of the birds that we have spotted in the garden so far: CLICK!
We try to supply them with food and shelter in the winter in return for their efforts to control insects and other forms of garden attackers.
To give the birds a place to nest we buildt several several bird-houses or nesting boxes. There are a few points to notice;
- The size of the opening decides what birds will inhabit them
- Hang them up 25 to 30 meters apart
- Avoid direct sunlight if possible (not facing south)
- Shelter the opening from wind if possible
- Make a plain front to avoid animals or larger birds accessing the opening
- Paint only the outside
It is also a good idea to face the opening so that you can see what is going on.
Once the boxes are up you will surely find it fascinating to watch the birds activities.